Saturday 11 April 2015

2015 April PAD Challenge - Day Eleven - A Season

An Irish Winter

The first time I saw snow
I was in my late twenties
But I might as well have been three

As the snow started to drift down
Outside our college window
Without thinking
I jumped out of my seat mid lecture
I ran down the stairs
And into the snow

It was colder and harder than I expected
And I swirled around
Like I was Winona Ryder in Edward Scissor Hands
The cobbled streets
Became the sets of every American Christmas movie I had ever seen
If Father Christmas himself had landed his reindeer on my path
I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid
As Jingle bells wafted out of every pub
And happy Dublin children screamed with glee
I was a million miles away from South Africa
And I believed in the magic of an Irish winter

No comments:

Post a Comment